In this day and age, we spend a lot of time indoors (especially during the blazing summers in NC). In fact, we spend an average of 85% of our lives indoors these days. There are many studies out there touting the benefits of being out in nature, and by all means, go outside and enjoy nature when you can. However, since you can’t spend all your time outside, you can bring nature into your home with houseplants. Houseplants are not just a beautiful addition! They actually have many health benefits and generally improve your quality of life.
Reduced Toxins, Lower Blood Pressure and Better Sleep
- Houseplants increase oxygen levels, reduce carbon dioxide and can remove up to 87% of dangerous toxins like benzene, formaldehyde, and trichloroethylene from the air in just 24 hours. You might think that you don’t have all those toxins in the air of your home, but you’d be wrong. Those toxins are emitted by many of the everyday household items and furniture we own. The plants pull these toxins into their roots and convert them into food and energy. (Maybe gross for plants, but good for us!) This site has more information about all of this if you want to read more about it. More oxygen in the air has the added benefit of lowering your blood pressure.
- Cleaner air and more oxygen can also improve your sleep. Consider plants like Gerbera Daisies, orchids, succulents and bromeliads in your bedroom since they release oxygen at night.
Healthier Skin, Fewer Colds and Allergies
- Houseplants improve the humidity in your home because they release 97% of the water they take in. Increased humidity is better for breathing, and as an added bonus, it is better for your skin. Also, increased humidity and cleaner air can reduce cold-related illnesses by 30%!
- Plants in your home can reduce dust as well as toxins. Cleaner air means less allergens, and less allergens means less allergies. God bless you.
Reduced Stress and Improved Mood
- Studies have found interacting with houseplants can relax you and help you de-stress. Having houseplants in an office or work environment can improve moods, thus leading to more job satisfaction. Less stress, better moods, and more job satisfaction result in overall improved cognitive health.
- On top of generally feeling happier, having less stress in your life can improve your resistance to disease. A study in Norway found that sickness in offices with houseplants was reduced 60%!
Live Longer, Heal Faster
- One study found women who had more plants inside and outside of their homes had a 12% lower mortality rate than those who didn’t! (Sorry, gents, you weren’t included in this one.)
- Hopefully you and your loved ones can stay out of the hospital for the long and foreseeable future, but if you or they were to be in the hospital, research has found that patients in rooms with plants can heal faster and improve pain tolerance.
Obviously, having houseplants is great for your health, but they also absorb sound, improve focus, simply make your living space more beautiful. What are you waiting for? Come see us and stock up on house plants. We recently posted houseplants that are easy to care for as well as what plants work well in different type of lighting. Our Garden Center staff is also very knowledgeable and will be delighted to help you choose plants that will be just right for your space. It’s seriously addicting once you find success! Finally…a healthy addiction.